Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dropkick Murphys - Going Out in Style [D - Mainstream]

Hello, it's Joseph Schultz again and today I'll be reviewing "Going Out in Style" by the Dropkick Murphys.


I still don't know anything about music so I still can't be trusted, but neither can any of MTV's 400 new channels, so really, what do you have to lose?

First I'd like to touch upon their last album, "The Meanest of Times".  Now maybe it's because I'm a bit of a wuss, but I didn't really like it all that much; it sort of felt like they were just yelling at me the whole time.  Now don't get me wrong, angry songs are cool and all, but only when you've got a real reason to be angry.  With the exception of "Loyal to No One", a song that I really liked, the whole album felt like it was being angry for the sake of being angry, which to me is just silly.


See? That's silly.  Now fortunately, "Going Out.." didn't feel like that, the songs were more varied in their sound and, uh, intensity, and it reminded me a lot of "Black-Out", which is a good thing.  Also, because I said "a lot" this is all I can think of...  Sorry...


Okay, cool, now that that is out of the way we can continue.
So, basically, here's a comparison of my feelings between this album and "The Meanest of Times".


Speaks for itself, really.  While this album felt, well, good, "The Meanest..." was kind of a letdown.  I only really liked one song on that one, but a handful of tracks really stood out to me on "Going Out..." "Climbing a Chair to Bed", "Broken Hymns" and "Take 'em Down" all really struck me as great, though that might partially come from how much I like their use of banjo and/or mandolin.

Remember, I know jack-shit about music, so it could be one or the other.

Alrighty, so in the end I suppose I really did like this album quite a lot.  Some songs were fast, others were slow, but just about all of them were pretty good.  A solid 4 out of 5, YO.


here's a fun review video to go along with this:

No comments:

Post a Comment